the Weekly Blog wk29
WEEKLY BLOG wk29. This week Elton John brought the curtain down on his Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Tour so an Elton John quiz seemed very fitting. Welcome to WEEKLY BLOG, available online and as a pdf download that you can print and take with you. Packed with additional content to assist quiz hosts, DJs and presenters.
Mid-week football taking place this week
The Women’s World Cup kicks off this week
Elton John Quiz
Each week there is a great themed quiz , so you can include an extra round or simply use as additional quiz content. The answers are on the PDF download, just click the download button at the bottom of this page.
1. At which festival did Sir Elton John recently play his final UK live show?
2. Elton John re-wrote and re-recorded which song following the death of Princess Diana in 1997?
3. ‘It’s a little bit funny’ is the opening line to which of his songs?
4. ‘Philadelphia Freedom’ was a tribute to which female sports star?
5. When the racehorse Desert Orchid fell flat on his stomach in his debut race, which Elton John song was ironically on the singles chart?
- Which 2006 chart-topping single did Sir Elton John co-write with Jake Shears?
- Who duets with Elton John on the 2022 single ‘Hold Me Closer’?
- Who did Elton John have ‘so much fun’ with in the opening lines to ‘Crocodile Rock’?
- Elton John played The Pinball Wizard in which 1975 film?
- Where did George Michael first sing ‘Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me’ with Elton John, six years before a reworked version topped the charts?
This week's favourite one-liner
Interesting fact: A shark will only attack you if you’re wet!!
This week in History
1837 London’s Euston railway station was opened.
1877 The first Wimbledon Men’s Tennis Championship was won by Spencer Gore.
1879 The Blackpool Illuminations were switched on for the first time.
1896 Queen Victoria surpassed her grandfather King George III as the longest reigning monarch in British history.
1903 The first Tour de France was won by Maurice Garin.
1904 The 4,607-mile Trans-Siberian railway was completed taking 13 years to build.
1941 Tom and Jerry first appeared under their own names.
1942 The Boeing B-29 Superfortress made its first flight.
1946 The Honda Motor Company was founded.
1967 RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 was launched.
1969 Apollo 11 lunar module carrying Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the moon.
1970 Egypt’s Aswan High Dam opened.
1970 Michael Eavis hosted the first Glastonbury Festival.
1972 Andrew Lloyd Webber married Sarah Hugill.
1973 Bruce Lee died.
1976 Nadia Comăneci became the first gymnast in Olympic Games history to score a perfect 10 score.
1980 Peter Sellers died.
1986 Prince Andrew married Sarah Ferguson at Westminster Abbey.
1995 Comet Hale-Bopp was discovered and became visible to the naked eye a year later.
2000 Tiger Woods won the British Open and became the youngest player at 24 to win all 4 major titles.
2005 Lance Armstrong retired after winning a record seventh consecutive victory in the Tour De France but was stripped of his titles in 2012 for doping.
2010 One Direction was formed during the X Factor.
2010 The leaking oil well in the Deepwater Horizon oil spill was sealed.
2011 Amy Winehouse died.
2012 Wrestler John Cena divorced Elizabeth Huberdeau after just 3 years
WHO’S CELEBRATING? This week’s birthdays
Vin Diesel 56
Kristen Bell 43
Richard Branson 73
Benedict Cumberbatch 47
Brian May 76
Nicola Sturgeon 53
Anton du Beke 57
Paloma Faith 42
Rebecca Ferguson 37
Prince George 10
Danny Glover 77
Daniel Radcliffe 34
Jennifer Lopez 54
Danny Dyer 46
Russ Abbot 76
Peter Shilton 74
Darren Gough 53
Cat Stevens 75
Selena Gomez 31
Shawn Michaels 58
Jo Brand 67
Ross Kemp 59
Sol Campbell 49
Kate Adie 78
Jeremy Irons 75
David Essex 76
THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR
Here’s a question that made me laugh but didn’t make it onto this week’s quizzes and was left on the cutting room floor. (answer on the pdf download)
I bought six eggs, I broke two, I cooked two and I ate two. How many eggs do I have left?
Make sure to check back next week for a brand new Weekly Blog post. In the mean while check out this week’s quizzes. Brand new quiz content all ready to download and use on your quiz event.